Sep 27, 2021
So, you think medical sales is sexy? Prepare for a wake-up call. Johnny Caffaro, director of sales for the West at United Orthopedic Corporation, found out quickly that making a name for yourself in this industry takes more than the gift of gab and a firm handshake. Whether it’s intensive case planning weeks ahead of surgery, advising surgeons and scrub techs during procedures, or staying till 10 p.m. to clean your instruments, the logistics of medical sales are no joke. We sat down with him to discuss his success with a bold approach to business development: Selling your most complex product first, then backing your way into the primary products. Join us as we explore the psychology behind this tactic, how reps can become technical assets in the OR, and why competency is the best way to win over surgeons.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- What MedTech companies are really looking for when they ask, “Are you a chameleon?”
- Why you should care about making the scrub tech look like a hero
- How to recalibrate your career if you’ve fallen into the complacency trap
- Why everyone in a hospital—from administrators to custodians—is worth your time
- Why smaller, “hungrier” distributorships are the best places to source talent
Plus, we explore how to get the ‘status quo’ bias working in your favor.